Saturday, June 11, 2011

Meals on Wheels

5/23/11-5/27/11


Ready to Deliver Some Meals
 This week I was not feeling good. I was literally sick and tired. Not fun. The Meals on Wheels (MOWs) rotation was only three days long, Tuesday - Thursday, and I got to do it with another intern. I spent Monday at the hospital library all day long working on my case study. On Tuesday Rachel and I delivered 13 hot lunch meals to an apartment complex in DeSoto, TX. It was very rewarding to hand deliver the meals to people because it was obvious that they were in need. MOWs provides a nutritious, hot, home-delivered meal to home-bound residents who are unable to provide or prepare their own meals due to illness, advanced age, or disability. I loved walking through the apartment complex because outside the residents' doors were huge displays of plants and door decorations, it seemed like each person was trying to out-decorate their neighbor. Delivering all those meals made Rachel and I very hungry so we stopped for lunch at Cracker Barrel. That night I worked my last night at Suze, it was bittersweet, but I had to be done there so I could focus on my case study and get assignments done. I gained a great customer service experience by dealing with snobby, rich people. I will really miss the delicious food.
On Wednesday Rachel and I worked on MOWs assignments from the library. We re-did educational nutrition handouts for Vitamin A, Potassium, and Lactose Intolerance to be given out to the people who receive meals. We each also made a PowerPoints, my topic was protein and dairy. Case Study for the rest of the day.
On Thursday we met with our preceptor at MOWs and made a bunch of phone calls to MOWs participants to do nutrition screenings which determines their eligibility. For our intern class we went over all the competencies and objectives that we met during the entire internship. Case Study until 9:30, no dinner, got home and packed for a 7am flight to Wisconsin.
I put my brain to rest for four days over Memorial Day weekend, which was not easy to do, knowing how much needed to be done. There was a lot going on in Green Bay. Friday was Dan's nephew's baptism, Saturday was hanging out and a wedding rehearsal, Sunday was the beautiful wedding of Mr. Jay and Perry Kelly, and Monday was playing at the Tundra Lodge water park and flight back to Dallas. I did not catch up on sleep. It was so nice to see some familiar faces and Dan's family. Over two months and I will get to visit my family.
All dressed up for the baptism
Baby Emmet =)
Dan and I
Jay and Perry's wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment